Monday, July 1, 2013

I'm too busy being busy to tell you how busy I am

"Busy is a drug that a lot of people are addicted to" - Rob Bell


I am attempting to distance myself from the word "busy."  I wish I could remember where I first read about the common culture of "busy," but since the word's first appearance I have since sought out a lot of literature on being "busy" so the sources have all sort of blurred together.  (Google "culture of being busy" and you'll find a plethora of articles related to this modern "phenomenon" - you'll see what I mean).  I am using quotes generously here, but if I were actually telling this story, my hands and first and middle fingers would be gesturing frantically from all of the stressed phrases I'm using.  It's appropriate I swear.

Even writing this blog post, I wanted to title it as "busy week".  It's a trap!

This particular article by Scott Berkun really caught my attention.  Specifically, I enjoyed the paragraph where he writes, "The phrase 'I don't have time' should never be said."  I wish to avoid this phrase almost as much as I wish to avoid the statement, "I can't, I'm too busy."  I believe that modifying how I phrase my talk about time will lead to a change in action, which is my goal.  It's all about prioritization.  RBF, as my parents have always taught me (Responsibility Before Fun).  However, there was always some F and some R, not just an overwhelming sense of R.

I also frequently come across articles that tell me "stop being busy, be efficient!" but like the Berkun article, I ask myself "what do I do with all this time I've saved?"  I could fill it up with other "busy-ness" I suppose, like seeking more work, or finding a nook to clean, or new and different errands, or signing myself up for new classes or work or activities.... but wait, isn't this the type of busy-ness that I keep striving to become more efficient at?  The type of activities that I'm trying to do efficiently so I have more time... for what?


I have written many times in this blog about how I don't know what I want to write about.  I talk about all of the things I wish to do, and then write about those things.  I also talk about how I have NOT blogged in awhile because I have been busy with other things.  Consider this a mini, mid-year resolution, but I am going to try and conquer  an aspect of the "busy" this month.

Here are my Month of Idleness Resolutions:
I will attempt to refrain from the word "busy" and the phrase "I don't have time" (ala Marissa Bracke's article).  As a result, I intend to question the priorities of events that I am invited to and to make better decisions with my time.

I will also direct my yogic intentions inward to reflection on how I want to spend my time not being busy. Alone, deep in thought?  Reading and reflecting?  Biking, hiking, kayaking, exploring nature?  Baking, cooking or organizing my house (which is therapeutic for me, not necessarily for everyone)?  Spending as much time as possible with friends?  No matter what I decide is the most important priority outside of "me-time", I will be sure to be thankful for the time I do have, right now.

Long post today.  Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my thoughts.  I appreciate my time and your time today.  Namaste! (As a side note, I think I have fallen in love with yoga.  More on that later.)

1 comment:

  1. I was about to delay posting a response because I was too busy. Decided that was too ironic.

    I try to be more efficient for 2 reasons: To get more responsibility at work (more money for same amount of time?) and to have more time to do other things to be named later :-)

    I have *made* time to read (book club) as one goal. I hope I can keep that up.

    I find it interesting how I fill time when I know I will have some free time (waiting on an oil change, for example) or I get unexpected free time (finished something early and have some time until I can start the next thing). I tend to bring reading material for planned free time and watch mindless (or netflix) TV for the unexpected times. I don't use my hot tub as often as I should and I don't find ways to improve myself because both seem like a bad use of time without further justification (given other demands).

    Your post is making me think about this more than I have before. That's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete